Sepia Saturday 115 – Games

This is a photograph of Wanborough Surrey Cricket Team.
Taking part in Sepia Saturday
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Sepia Saturday 115 – Games

1. While this must be a common British photo, it is a real contrast with similar American antique photos of town baseball teams. Our sports team photos are always scholastic youths and never cheery old blokes like these.

2. I too noticed they are all wearing their own clothes not any type of uniform, but I'm sure they had fun!

3. Little Nell says:

They look motley crew! I expect they made do with what they had.

4. imagespast says:

A lot of big flat caps 🙂

5. I have heard of cricket but have no idea how it is played. I will look it up though. As I said that is one of the reasons SS is one of my favorite memes. Great photo.
    QMM

6. Anglers Rest says:

I think it goes back to Colonial days.

7. Postcardy says:

I don't know anything about how cricket is played. I wonder why they don't play cricket here.

8. Anglers Rest says:

It looks like it doesn't it? I wonder whether they had home made lemonade and cake in the break?

9. Anglers Rest says:

Me nether Barbara & Nancy. The earliest cricket game played in Surrey was in the early 1720s at Shackleford, about 2 miles across the fields from Wanborough.

10. Anglers Rest says:

It is indeed. I think this is around 1930 or so. From about 1930 my family had moved from Wanborough into Guildford. I can not identify if any of my relatives are on the photograph.

11. Karen S. says:

I just love the assortment of uniforms for the game….they had great fun I'm sure!

12. I've never been able to understand the rules of cricket. But it must be fun because it's so popular all over the world.
    Nancy

13. Bob Scotney says:

Brilliant! Flat caps and braces! Village cricket as it used to be.

I should look up how to play cricket. I have no idea.