A Surname or One-Name Study is a project where you seek to collect every instance of the surname as far as practical and possible.
The leading international organisation regarding surnames is the Guild of One-Name Studies. I have been a member of the Guild since 2002. I have been a Trustee and Committee member since 2015 and spent my first four years on the Committee as the Guild Secretary.
I was honoured to be awarded the Guild of Master Craftsman at the Annual General Meeting in 2019. I was also honoured in 2019 to be awarded by the Society of Genealogists in London, England the Certificate of Recognition for “exceptional services to genealogy and one-name studies, promoting methodology, aims, processes and strategies”
I am the tutor for Pharos with responsibility for teaching all the available One-Name Studies courses.
2 February 2021 & 1 June 2021
Practicalities of a One-Name Study course is new from 2020. It sits between the existing courses, Introduction (901) course and the Advanced (902) course, and builds upon the learning and practice of the Introduction course.
The next start date for this course is 6 October 2020 & 9 March 2021
Advanced One-Name Studies which runs typically once a year, and more frequently by arrangement.
The next start date for this course is 3 November 2020
On this page you will find links to the numerous and various posts that I have written about One-Name & Surname research.
- What is a One-Name Study?
- Seven Steps to One-Name Studies and Surname Research
- Why Have a One-Name Study?
- How Big is my One-Name Study?
- Surname Distribution Maps and Migration
- More on Surname Maps
- Before you get Started – Organisational Considerations
- Research Log & To Do List – Downloadable File!
- Quick Wins for Surname Collection
- I’ve collected data, now what?
- Drawing Conclusions from Data
- Communicating with others and responding to enquires
- What is your oldest possession?
- The Three P’s ~ Publicise, Publishing and Preserving
- Learning and One-Name Studies
- Aims of a One-Name Study
- What do you want your One-Name Study to be?
- A-Z Challenge April 2018 Surname Research Series
- Italian Surname Series
- My Italian One-Name Study Webinar
- Family Tree Magazine (UK) 2019 Surname Research Series
- ‘Expert’ feature in Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine (What’s in a name?)
- Strategy for a Genealogical Project Series
- Sources and Citations Series
- A-Z Challenge 2019 Tips, Tools in Starting Surname Research Series
- European Surname Distribution Maps
- Organising a One-Name & Surname Study (Recording)
- Seven Steps of a One-Name (Surname) Study
- Surname Research Guide
- Surname Research – Variants
- Surname Tips Series
- Q & A Posts (includes material relevant to surname research)
- More on Variants
- Worksheet – Introduction to One-Name Studies – Downloadable File!
- Practicalities of a One-Name Study
- Family Tree Magazine (UK) 2019 Article Surname Series – Downloadable File!
- Russian Given Names and Surnames
- Researching Surnames Guide – Read-a-long – Want to take part? Click the link!
- A Year in Surnames
Page updated 27 September 2020