Below is a list of books, papers and software, that are likely to be of interest to those interested in Names and Surnames. The list is not exhaustive, and remains a work in progress. If you come across a something that is not mentioned, please do let me know.
Books marked * are those that can be found in the Guild of One-Name Studies library with members able to request look ups.
Those in green are set books for the Pharos One-Name Studies courses – https://pharostutors.com.
The details provided is the name of the author (surname then given name in alphabetical order), book or item title and lastly the publisher or publishing information.
- Aksu, Ibrahim. The story of Turkish Surnames: An Onomastic Study of Turkish Family Names, their origins, and related matters. Privately published 2006. ISBN 978-9944516303
- Archer, Steve. Surname Atlas (surname distribution mapping software (based on the England and Wales 1881 Census information), Archer Software, 2015, http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/satlas01.htm
- Beattie, Alan M (Dr), Shetland Surnames (second edition), Published Shetland Family History Society, May 2010
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland
- Briggs, Keith. An Index of Personal Names in English Place Names, Published English-Place Name Society, Nottingham (England), 2021.
- Cottle, Basil. Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MD Penguin Books, 1967
- Davis, Graeme. Research Your Surname and Your Family Tree, How to Books Ltd, 2010
- Deacon, Bernard. The Surnames of Cornwall. Published 2019, https://benarddeacon.com.
- Diggle, James (and the Faculty of Classics). The Cambridge Greek Lexicon (Volumes I & II)
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames, Collins Celtic, (Pocket edition, 1998)
- Fucilla, Joseph G. Our Italian Surnames. Originally published 1949 and available on Internet Archives, Genealogical Publishing Company 1987. (reprinted 2003) ISBN 978 – 0806311878
- Goucher, Julie. Researching Surnames: A Guide to One-Name Studies, Published by Guild of One-Name Studies, England, 2019, https://one-name.org
- Goucher, Julie. From a Single Surname – Beginnings of an Italian One-Name Study, Published Journal of One-Name Studies, Guild of One-Name Studies, Volume 13, pp 30-32, January 2018
- Guild of One-Name Studies, Seven Pillars: The Art of One-Name Studies, Published by Guild of One-Name Studies, England, 2012, https://one-name.org
- Guppy, H.B. Homes of Family Names in Great Britain Published 1890 (reprinted 1968)
- Hanks, Patrick & Hodges, Flavia. A Dictionary of Surnames, Oxford University Press, 1989
- Hanks, Patrick & Coates Richard. The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland*, Oxford University Press, 2016
- Jarvis, Judith K, Levin, Susan L and Yates, Donald N, Book of Jewish and Crypto-Jewish Surnames, Published by Panther’s Lodge Publishers, 2018.
- Kennett, Debbie. The Surname Handbook, History Press, 2012
- McKinley, Richard. English Surnames Series II – Norfolk and Suffolk Surnames in the Middle Ages, Phillimore 1975.
- McKinley, Richard. English Surnames Series III – The Surnames of Oxfordshire, Leopard’s Head Press 1977
- McKinley, Richard. English Surnames Series V – The Surnames of Sussex, Leopard’s Head Press 1988
- O’Farrell, Padraic. Irish Surnames, Published by Gill & Macmillian, 2002
- Postles, David. English Surnames Series VII – The Surnames of Leicestershire and Rutland, Leopard’s Head Press 1998
- Reaney, P.H. A Dictionary of English Surnames, Oxford University Press, 1987
- Redmonds, George. Surnames and Genealogy, A New Approach. Federation of Family History Society (FFHS), 2002
- Redmonds, George. Names and History – People, Places and Things. Hambledon & London Ltd Publishers 2004
- Redmonds, George; King, Turi & Hey, David. Surnames, DNA and Family History, Oxford University Press, 2015
- Rogers, Colin. The Surname Detective. Investigating Surname Distribution in England, 1086 to the Present Day, Manchester University Press, 1995
- Rowlands, John and Shelia, The Surnames of Wales, Gormer Press, Wales, 2013
- Smith, Elsdon C, American Surnames, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997
- Todd, Andrew, Family History Nuts and Bolts – Problem Solving through Family Reconstruction Techniques, Published by Andrew Todd, Ramsbottom, England, 2015 (3rd Edition)
- Wilson, Stephen. The Means of Naming – A Social and Cultural history of personal naming in Western Europe, UCL Press, 1998