I am hopeful that the various posts over the course of the A-Z Challenge, which has been about surnames, surname research and registering a One-Name Study has been enjoyable and given you plenty of scope for ideas and thoughts.
You can see all the posts I have written about surname research HERE and there is a small list of other writings about One-Name Studies and surnames that featured under Writing about your One-Name Study
So what to do next if you are enthused about One-Name Studies and surnames:
- Visit the One-Name Studies website and perhaps
- Join the Guild of One-Name Studies and see what the organisation offers
- Sign up for the Pharos Course – Introduction to One-Name Studies the course runs over five weeks and you will broadly learn:
- About One-Name Studies
- History of One-Name Studies
- Why have a One-Name Study
- How suitable is my surname
- Introduction to the Guild of One-Name Study
- Getting started
- Surnames and their history
- How did surnames start?
- An introduction to common meanings & deviations of British Surnames
- Non-British surnames
- Changes, spellings, deviations, Other pitfalls for the unwary
- Deviants and Variants
- Surname Distribution & Migration
- Importance of individual surname studies
- Core records you will need and information gathering
- What are core records?
- Civil Registration records and indexes in the British & Ireland
- Indexes to the Census
- Family Search, will indexes and other readily available indexes
- Data Capture
- Measuring your progress
- Organising your One-Name Study (and I have a presentation that I am in the midst of writing, so stay tuned!)
- Analysing and making sense of your data
- Introduction to analysis
- Designing spreadsheets
- Family reconstruction
- Software for a One-Name Study
- Migration & linking people to places
- Finding missing data
- Drawing conclusions
- Practical aspects of running your own One-Name Study
- Registering a study with the Guild
- Data Protection
- Publishing your study
- Facebook Groups & pages
- Preserving your study
- Organising your time
- About One-Name Studies
- Purchase a copy of Seven Pillars of Wisdom: The art of a One-Name Study.
I teach the Pharos course and have two studies, one is a Surname whose origins are typically British and the other is for an Italian surname.
The chances are you have been undertaking a study and not necessarily realising that it is a One-Name Study, you can read more HERE. Whether you are new to the concept or have been undertaking a surname research project for a while why not consider your aims for your study.
The next Pharos course begins 15th May 2018 and you can sign up HERE
I hope you have enjoyed the A-Z series as much as I have enjoyed writing them. Over the course of the last month I have promised I would come back to several topics and plan to do that over the coming weeks.