March 7 — Share a favorite recipe from your mother or grandmother’s kitchen. Why is this dish your favorite? If you don’t have one that’s been passed down, describe a favorite holiday or other meal you shared with your family.
Here are a few recipes that I can, with my Mum’s help remember my Grandmother cooking.
- Mix plain flour and suet together, using water or milk to bind it together.
- Roll out on a floured board.
- Lay the rashers of bacon across and add some chopped fresh parsley.
- Roll it up and put in a pudding cloth and place in a pan of boiling water and cook.
Mum has said the cloth would be horrid when taken out of the pan, and remembers being given the job of washing the cloth! and suggests using a more modern steamer would better and safer!
- Buy Lambs Hearts and stuff them with sage and onion stuffing.
- wrap in tin foil and place in a baking dish
- Serve with potatoes and vegetables
Cheese and Tomato
A very simple dish and one that I often make during the summer and serve with new potatoes and salad. I sometimes make some amendments and add bacon and mushrooms!
- Quite simply cut cheese into slices and layer with layers of tomato into a dish
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15 mins until the cheese has melted slightly
A recipe that has been passed down from my Great Grandmother is the recipe for Wheat Wine, which was sent to my Grandparents.