This post is part of a series about genealogy in France. You can read the complete series HERE.
- France declared war against Austria on 20 April 1792.
- During the timeframe of April-September 1792, France suffered defeats.
- In July 1792, Prussia joined the war with an army rapidly moving towards Paris.
- Maria-Antoinette was born in Austria, and began encouraging her brother, Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II to invade France.
- As a counter measure, Revolutionaries occupied Tuileries Palace where Louis XVI was living, with the Royal family held in the temple.
- September 1792, a number of nobles and clergy were massacred.
- People in France were inspired by the wave of Nationalism.
- French military checked Prussians on 20 September 1792 at Valmy which was also the day the New Assembly met.
- On 21 September 1792, the Assembly, now called The National Convention proclaimed the abolition of monarchy, and the establishment of the Republic.