This post is part of a series about genealogy in France. You can read the complete series HERE.
France, like many nations in Europe controlled lands outside of the country, such as:
- Reunion Island
- Wallis & Fortuna
- Guadeloupe – located in the archipelago in the Caribbean and consists of six inhabited islands
- La Desirade
- Iles des Saintes
- other inhabited islands
- French Guiana – bordering Brazil and the Republic of Suriname
- New Caledonia
- French Polynesia
- Society Islands
- Marquesas Islands
- Austral Islands (scattered)
- Tuamotu Islands (scattered)
- Mayotte – Located in the Indian Ocean and became a departmental region of France in 2011 following a referendum in 2009
- Crozet Islands
- Amsterdam and St Paul
- St Pierre and Miquelon
- Saint Martin & St Barth – Saint Martin is an island shared with the Netherlands – More information found HERE
Some of these locations have records included at FamilySearch.
Our weather forecast on French TV includes the forecast for the overseas dependencies! It’s nearly always sunny!