|Map showing Richmond Union Workshouse
Courtesy of Surrey Records Centre
Today I read that Surrey Records Centre has released via their web page the Richmond Poor Law Union Applications and Report Books.
This is a fantastic resource which has indexed by a team of volunteers.
Not many of these records have survived for Surrey, so we are indeed very lucky that these have, and that an index has been published.
The data itself is spread over two pages and provides an assortment of information
- Number in the Relief List
- Date of Application
- Names of Applicants
- Length of time in Union
- Calling or Occupation
- Marital Status
- Ability (i.e. whether disabled)
- If in receipt of relief
- Present cause of seeking relief
- Observations and names of relatives liable to relieve the applicant
- Weekly earnings
- Date of last visit
- Quantity and nature of relief
- Relief ordered by Guardians
- Other orders