Amelia Waddell the Grand Daughter of John King and Mary Budd married Sir Keith Jackson, 2nd Baronet. As I know very little about peerages I wanted to explore this more. I am still wondering how they met, although it was probably a grand 19th Century ball in India.
Keith Jackson, 2nd Baronet was the son of Sir John Jackson, 1st Baronet. He was born on 30th December 1763 in Kingston Jamaica to John Jackson and Hannah Coverley.
He married Charlotte Spry Gorham, herself a widow on 13th February 1797. Between 1797 and 1806, John and Charlotte had 6 children. Charlotte died on 30th June 1807 in Sidmouth Devon, which is about 30 miles from where I currently live.
John died on 17th May 1820 at Bellmoor House, Hampstead London. He was a director of the Honourable East India Company and held office as a Member of Parliament for Dover in Kent. He was also private secretary to Lord Keith. He was created 1st Baronet Jackson of Arsley Bedfordshire on 22nd May 1815.
There are many move avenues that I can research here –
- Why was he given a peerage?
- Details of his time as an MP for Dover
- What was Charlotte doing in Devon in 1807?
- Presumably, he showed respect for his employer by naming his first son after him?
- His time in India – he was a contemporary of George Bridges Bellasis, who was the husband of Esther King who started off this whole piece of research.