Sepia Saturday 113 – Film

My Grandfather’s claim to fame was that he had cooked for George Formby during the Second World War. From early research it looks as though this was one of the many entertainment for troop evenings that George Formby did in Europe. Whilst both of them were in Africa during the Second World War, they is no match between the dates and location!
Taking part in Sepia Saturday
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Sepia Saturday 113 – Film

1. Wendy says:

A perfect Sepia Saturday post! Very cool ~

2. I like to listen to George Formby when I'm cleaning windows 🙂

Hope you find that missing match that puts them in the same place at the same time!

4. Anglers Rest says:

Thanks Kristin, I need to sit and decipher my Grandfather's Second World War record.

5. Joy says:

He still seems to be popular. Wonder if he said to your Grandfather, turned out nice again:-)

6. Anglers Rest says:

Oh yes! or even a nice fat memoir in which he wrote, had a super dinner cooked by the cook, a nice fellow called George!

7. Postcardy says:

I never heard of him before. I just watched the video “When I'm Cleaning Windows.” He reminds me of Tiny Tim.

8. Little Nell says:

It’s always fun to find a relative who knew someone famous.

9. Linda@VS says:

I hadn't heard of George Formby and had to Google him. Now I understand Postcardy's “cleaning windows” comment. I've been on a search similar to yours, trying to find my grandfather and Rita Hayworth in the same time and place.

10. Karen S. says:

How wonderful…although I had never hear of Mr. Formby until now! It's so much fun learning new things!

11. Anglers Rest says:

Stories such as these add more depth to our ancestors!

12. Anglers Rest says:

Currently humming “I'm leaning on a lamppost “!

13. Christine H. says:

I'm going to have to hunt down a recording, because ALL of my windows need washing.

14. Linda says:

Something about him reminds me of a cross between Milton Berle and Oscar Levant.

15. Bob Scotney says:

'When I'm cleaning windows' is one of those songs that you never forget. Formby was a fine entertainer. Hope you can make a date connection.

16. I had to Google him too – very cool connection.