Sepia Saturday 108 – Hats!

The moment I saw the photo prompt I knew the photograph I wanted to use. It was just a shame that I could not lay my hands on it! Instead, I came across the following two photos which really show the character of my Grandfather.
Taken at Peel Avenue, Shoeburyness when my Grandfather was visiting his sister and her husband and was taken during the period of 1952-1957
On this second photo clearly there was no hats available!

We have had trouble dating the photo. Mum thinks it is prior to her being born in 1947. This is a sepia photograph compared to the one above which is black and white. Others that are also sepia show my Grandparents in the garden of the house that they lived in from 1940. My Grandfather didn’t join the Army until the Autumn of 1940. Of course post 1939 the beaches on the South coast were heavily defended. I think this is just pre war. Is this the Summer of 1939? which would make this just before they married, (they married in November 1939). The venue is possibly Shoeburyness. Whilst Brighton was a favourite seaside venue the beach is too pebbly!
Taking part in Sepia Saturday

About Julie Goucher

Genealogist, Author, Presenter, native Guildfordian, Pharos Tutor, lover of Books & History, Surnames, European Ancestors, Butcher & Orlando One-Name Studies, avid note taker and journal writer.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sepia Saturday 108 – Hats!

1. Alan Burnett says:

Nice bit of detective work to pin down the probable date. That second one seems to have the late thirties written all over it.

2. Bob Scotney says:

I had difficulty with seing the hat in the first picture. The cyclist came by just at the wrong moment.
    For some reason or another the umbrella made me think he should have worn a knotted handkerchief.

3. Both priceless shots, but my fave is the umbrella!

4. Wendy says:

I love your grandfather already!

5. Nancy says:

Your grandfather certainly seems to have had a sense of humor. I wonder which child loaned him the umbrella.

6. viridian says:

He appears like a fun-loving man. Nice photos.

7. Little Nell says:

He looks like a fun loving person. That little umbrella looks like a child’s or a doll’s.

She looks like she thinks he's pretty cute under that tiny umbrella. Nice photo and good detective work. I hope you find the photo you wanted to use before the next hat prompt appears!

9. Anglers Rest says:

Shoeburyness is in Essex, on the coast near Southend. From looking at the family archives, my Grandparents spent a lot of time there as his sister & brother in law lived there; my Uncle was in the Police.

10. I had never heard of Shoeburyness before. It looks like a nice place!