Sepia Saturday 107 – Under Arrest

This photograph seemed rather fitting, given that we have the Diamond Jubilee this year.
Taken in June 1953 for the Coronation Parade. The rear of the photo has the handwriting of my Great Aunt Dorothy May nee Butcher (1915-2010). She calls this “Under Arrest”. The man on the right of the photo was my Great Uncle, Percy Butcher (known as Dick). The location of the photograph is unknown, but probably Godalming,Puttenham or Guildford area, although my Uncle Dick lived in Horley Surrey. He died circa 1970.
Taking part in Sepia Saturday
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sepia Saturday 107 – Under Arrest

1. Alan Burnett says:

There must certainly be a story behind that particular photograph. Perhaps it is better that we don't know : we can let our imagination go all over the place.

2. Wendy says:

Beautiful Clydesdale! A stunning photo — lots of fun to study it.

3. My dad grew up on a ranch and they had a clydesdale that he adored. Often tells me stories about going out for rides on the gentle giant.

4. Karen S. says:

Yes a bit stern, for sure on a mission but those legs on the horse, so awesome!

5. Little Nell says:

What a pity we don’t know the story behind this. My fertile imagination is already making one up! It’s a great one to have in the family archive isn’t it?

6. Dizzy C says:

The policeman looks like a man on a mission with his truncheon at the ready. I wonder was he expecting trouble!

carol

7. Dizzy C says:

carol

8. Nancy says:

Both men look very stern to me. Did no one pass on any other information about the circumstances of the photo? The horse is beautifully groomed and must belong to Dick.

I don't remember seeing this blog background before. The quilt is very lovely, Julie. Is it a family heirloom?

9. imagespast says:

Scary policeman! He can't have been too bad as you can see a small child on the left, followed by a bike 🙂 Jo

10. The police sergeant looks very stern, brandishing that truncheon!