A surname or One-Name Study is a project where you seek to collect every instance of the surname as far as practical and possible. The leading international organisation regarding surnames is the Guild of One-Name Studies. I have been a member of the Guild since 2002 and have been a Trustee and Committee member since 2015.
I am also the tutor for the Pharos course, Introduction to One-Name Studies which runs typically twice a year and more frequently if required. You can also download a copy of the course information sheet HERE
The next course begins on 12 February 2019
On this page you will find links to a series of posts that I have written about One-Name & Surname research.
- What is a One-Name Study?
- Seven Steps to One-Name Studies and Surname Research
- Why Have a One-Name Study?
- How Big is my One-Name Study?
- Surname Distribution Maps and Migration
- More on Surname Maps
- Before you get Started – Organisational Considerations
- Quick Wins for Surname Collection
- I’ve collected data, now what?
- Drawing Conclusions from Data
- Communicating with others and responding to enquires
- What is your oldest possession?
- The Three P’s ~ Publicise, Publishing and Preserving
- Learning and One-Name Studies
- Aims of a One-Name Study
- What do you want your One-Name Study to be?
- A-Z Challenge April 2018 Surname Research Series
- Italian Surname Series
- My Italian One-Name Study Webinar
- Family Tree Magazine (UK) 2019 Surname Research Series