There are a number of books about surname studies and undertaking a One-Name Study and it might not surprise many of you that I have a good number of them on my bookshelves.
THE book to have on your bookshelves is this book, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom is available from the Guild directly (Guild members should login) and for those of you wanting a Kindle version, via Amazon.
Other books are:
- Family History Nuts and Bolts: Family Reconstruction Techniques by Andrew Todd
- Surname Detective by Colin D Rogers
- The Surname Handbook by Debbie Kennett who is a Guild member studying the surname of Cruwys
- Our Italian Surnames by Joseph G. Fucilla
- American Surnames by Elsdon C. Smith
- The Meaning of Names – A social and cultural history of personal naming in Western Europe by Stephen Wilson
- Surnames and Genealogy, A New Approach by George Redmonds
- The Surnames of Sussex (English Surnames Series) by Richard McKinley
- What’s in a Surname by David McKie
- Research Your Surname and Your Family Tree by Dr Graeme Davis
If you have other surname books on your bookshelves please leave a comment.
A number of these books is mention in the Pharos Introduction to One-Name Studies course.